Saturday, November 6, 2010

Headstock...

The headstock is the part of the guitar at the end of the neck on the opposite end as the body.  All six tuning machines are there and it is the anchor for one end of the strings.  Nathan tells me that the headstock is normally made out of the same piece of wood as the neck, but that it is known as a weak point in the guitar.  Maybe I will consider making it a separate piece and joining it somehow (glue, bolts, etc).  This could make it considerably stronger, but goes a bit away from the typical formation of a guitar.  I have to do some research and think about this a little bit more.

Here is a picture of a guitar headstock:

Gibson Les Paul Headstock - 3L/3R Tuning Machines

This is one of my favourite shapes.  I like the 3 tuning machines on one side and 3 on the other.  This is known as 3L/3R.  3L/3R is opposed to 6-in-line  which can be seen on a lot of Fender style headstocks (or some other configuration).

Fender Jaguar Headstock - 6-in-line Tuning Machines

I seem to like 3L/3R over 6-in-line, but maybe I will get creative with my headstock and do 1L/5R or something wacky.  Here are some other headstock styles.  Anyone have a preference?

Gibson Les Paul Headstock


Fender Headstock
ESP Headstock
Rickenbacker Headstock

The Dean Edge Bass Headstock

I kind of like this last one even though it is a bass guitar.  Just brainstorming...

2 comments:

  1. Hey, neat blog! How about creating your own original headstock? Just brainstorming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah...it's not a bad idea and I am toying with it. Whatever I choose, it has to be strong and not too divergent after all. My guitar body isn't too wacky, so the headstock should match. It also has to be practical in the way it holds the tuning machines. I think when it comes to both body shape and headstock shape, there is nothing new under the sun.

    ReplyDelete