Saturday, November 20, 2010

Back in action soon...

Hopefully, I'll be back in action soon. I have been pretty busy working on the new website for TenOn Design - the company I work with. Check it out www.tenondesign.com.  I am hoping to get back in the shop this week to mill up the maple and then join it to the marine ply to complete my rough body.

On a separate note...I noticed I took some pictures of my fingerboard which I haven't posted yet.

Ebony Fingerboard with Inlay Holes
Here is my actual fingerboard.  As I mentioned previously, it is already made and slotted for frets.  Notice that there is quite a bit of fingerboard toward the bottom that doesn't have fret slots.  Nathan suggested - and I am very tempted to - cutting a few more slots to extend my frets to a higher range on the guitar.  I believe this fingerboard has 22 fret slots and I may take it up to 24.  It will be a good way of learning how hard it can be to cut accurate slots.

The inlay holes are already cut out too for the pearloid inlays I will be putting in.  The inlays came with the fingerboard as part of the gift.  I had to spend quite a bit of time last week scraping off tape glue from the fingerboard since someone *cough* duck taped the inlays to the fingerboard for transport.  Using painter's tape or something would have been better.  I not only had to scrape the tape glue off of the fingerboard, but also off the inlays themselves.  Here are the cleaned up inlays sitting loosely on the fingerboard:

Pearloid Inlays on Fingerboard
They are gorgeous, I think.  I am also going to extend the pearloid theme to more of my guitar.  Pearloid is a plastic-like material that is meant to imitate mother-of-pearl.  More on pearloid in a later post.

I am excited about getting back into this.  Stay posted!

2 comments:

  1. Listen homie -you'll be sanding a radius into that there fingerboard AND the inlays along with it. Quit yer bellyaching and post a pic of the wiring harness and circuit! I spent hours in Paint making it just right.
    PS if you want different pickup rings, I have black or chrome I could send you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...How did I know your were going to comment on this post?

    Yes, yes...I realize everything is going to be sanded. It didn't alleviate my pretend frustration of everything being gummy. I literally only scraped stuff off so it could look good in a picture.

    And patience, my man! At this rate, we are months away from wiring harnesses and circuits...

    ReplyDelete